Monday, September 06, 2010

Gleanings from the Pastor's Perspective: Biblical Womanhood

The Pastor’s Perspective
“Biblical Womanhood”
First Published: March 22, 2005


It’s Spring Break week at First Presbyterian, and so many of us are scattered to the four winds. Nevertheless, there is much going on at the church.

This coming Lord’s Day will feature some of our very favorite hymns of the Christian church – there are almost too many good resurrection hymns for us to sing! This day may also afford you a special opportunity to invite friends to attend church, who do not attend regularly or at all.

Remember too, the importance of Jesus’ resurrection to the Christian faith. J.I. Packer says:
“Christianity rests on the certainty of Jesus’ resurrection as a space-time occurrence in history. All four Gospels highlight it, focusing on the empty tomb and resurrection appearances, and Acts insists on it (Acts 1:3; 2:24-35; 3:15; 4:10; 5:30-32; 13:33-37). Paul regarded the Resurrection as indisputable proof that the message about Jesus as Judge and Savior is true (Acts 17:31; 1 Cor. 15:1-11,20). Jesus’ resurrection demonstrated his victory over death (Acts 2:24; 1 Cor. 15:54-57), vindicated him as righteous (John 16:10), and indicated his divine identity (Rom. 1:4). It led on to his ascension and enthronement (Acts 1:9-11; 2:34; Phil. 2:9-11; cf. Isa. 53:10-12) and his present heavenly reign. It guarantees the believer’s present forgiveness and justification (Rom. 4:25; 1 Cor. 15: 17) and is the basis of resurrection life in Christ for the believer here and now (John 11:25-26; Rom. 6; Eph. 1:18-2:10; Col. 2:9-15; 3:1-4).” You may want to study these passages during the week as you prepare for worship this coming Lord’s Day.

I recently picked up a copy of Girl Talk: Mother-Daughter Conversations on Biblical Womanhood (Crossway Books), by Carolyn Mahaney and Nicole Mahaney Whitacre. It may prove a stimulating book for mothers and daughters looking to read something together to jump start some good conversation about the things that really matter. One appendix in particular deals with modesty. I thought Carolyn’s questions for a “heart check” were right on: “What statement do my clothes makes about my heart? In choosing what clothes to wear today, whose attention do I desire, and whose approval do I crave? Am I seeking to please God or impress others? Is what I wear consistent with the biblical values of modesty, self-control, and respectable apparel, or does my dress reveal an inordinate identification and fascination with sinful cultural values? Who am I trying to identify with through my dress? Is the Word of God my standard or is the latest fashion? Have I asked other godly individuals to evaluate my wardrobe? Does my clothing reveal my allegiance to the gospel, or is there any contradiction between my profession of faith and my practice of godliness?”

Your friend,

Ligon Duncan

No comments: